If you’ve been involved with REUP for very long at all, you know we value the importance of each man knowing his identity in Christ. But “identity” is not just for the individual, each family needs to have and know its own identity as well. Here are some easy ideas to help you start building your FAMILY IDENTITY taken from the REUP study “No Place Like Home”
- Study the word together Start with the catechisms to jointly learn the foundations of the Christian faith and build from there. Everyone can learn at the same time and have the same starting point.
- Write a family mission statement What kind of family do you want to be? What do you want to be known for? What describes you? What does everyone in the family agree on what defines them- or what should define them? What kinds of feeling do you want in your home, how do you want to build relationships? Get everyone involved in the process. Everyone should contribute- young and old. We ALL have a say in OUR family.
- Develop a motto or phrase that describes your family Keep it short and memorable.
- Create and celebrate traditions Around holidays, birthdays, any day that is important to YOUR family. Can be once a year traditions or more often, such as Dad making pancakes every Saturday morning at our house or Friday Night Movie Night!
- ‘Chat Pack’ questions at the dinner table Questions to spur imagination and start conversations – Chat Pack For Kids: Fun Questions
If you liked these ideas, please check out our resource, “No Place Like Home”